I’ll throw this here, just as a reactionary post.
- Truecrypt is no longer a thing, as announced by their site. There are a lot of theories swirling around, and I can’t tell which I like best. Most involved tinfoil hats. Some theories are:
- MBR / GPT: Truecrypt can’t do full disk encryption past 2.2 TB
- NSA sent an NSL and the developers threw the kill switch
- Internal power struggle in the development team
- Exploit found making it insecure
- Truecrypt is actually made by the NSA, and they’re scared of the independent audit finding a backdoor that they’ve used in another product
- Death of a developer making the project impossible
I have no idea what to believe. I am watching anxiously, not because I actively use Truecrypt, but because I don’t like when things that are very public disappear in a way that is… fishy, to say the least.
Per usual, normal news is very slow, and twitter is buzzing with updates. Check it out: